Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 12 Jun 2003 19:58:41 -0700
From:         Todd Last <rubatoguy@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: HOW TO make other vw model steering wheels fit the VANAGON (G
              TI, Scirocco, etc
Comments: To: "Myers, Thomas A" <Thomas.Myers@USA.XEROX.COM>

I must have an odd Vanagon ('88 with Power steering) because I added a Sirrocco wheel with no problems and yes, my turn signals cancel just fine. The gap between the column and wheel is greater than with the factory wheel, however.

I can send photos if anyone wants to see what it looks like. Yes, it does block some of the gauges for me (I'm 6' 3") this may not be the case for shorter drivers.

Todd '88 Westy

-------Original Message------- From: "Myers, Thomas A" <Thomas.Myers@USA.XEROX.COM> Sent: 06/12/03 07:46 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: HOW TO make other vw model steering wheels fit the VANAGON (G TI, Scirocco, etc..

> > Chris -

Does the new steering wheel block you view of the gauges?

the standard power steering wheel I have right now "almost" does -

I figured a retrofit [ smaller wheel? ] would totally block them.

[ but I am 6ft tall ]

Tom 90 westy

-----Original Message----- From: JordanVw@AOL.COM [mailto:JordanVw@AOL.COM] Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2003 2:47 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: HOW TO make other vw model steering wheels fit the VANAGON (GTI, Scirocco, etc..

a few of you out there are using other steering wheels on your vanagons, some of you said you are using wheels from a MK1 Scirocco, etc. i saw a MK1 Scirocco steering wheel mounted in a vanagon, it didnt go all the way down, so the turn signals didnt cancel. i picked up a really nice leather wrapped steering wheel from a '89 Jetta GLI 16v yesterday. i wondered if it would fit the vanagon.. took the vanagon steering wheel off, it bolted on - the splines matched up, but like the MK1 Scirocco wheel, it didnt go all the way down so the turn signals wouldnt cancel.

i then looked at why it wouldnt go all the way down - the aluminum housing around the splines at the back of the steering wheel was too narrow, keeping it from seating properly and the plastic tab contacting the turn signal cancel switch. so i set the steering wheel down on the floor , face down, and took a drill and a 1/2" metal drill bit and hogged out the aluminum housing at the back of the wheel. prolly easier/quicker to do by my local machine guy, but end result was the same. wheel now fits, horn works, and turn signals cancel properly. i used a large diameter split washer under the nut when bolting the wheel back down. it was pretty easy to do, and best of all, i didnt have to do any mods to the van itself, just the steering wheel...

chris >