Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 12 Jun 2003 23:36:17 -0600
From:         Eric and Marica <eric.clarke@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      80 Vanagon Stalling when cold or damp

Good day to you all, I have an 80 Vanagon (affectionately known as Rusty for obvious reasons!) that we bought last summer.

It starts fine every time (ok it was rough at -20c for a bit but Edmonton will do that to anything) - but by the time we get to the first or second stop light the idle slows and slows until either I rev it in gear with my foot on the brake or it stalls.

When it stalls it's an embarrassing 5 minutes of pumping and cranking and then it fires up and it's fine.

Sounds like vacuum eh?

Here's the weird part. I have all the bills back to the dawn of time from the previous owner and it seems every year he had it into the local mechanic "Darsch" and in an hour or two the problem was seemingly resolved for a year. Fine, except that the motor was changed entirely 3 years ago and the problem persisted.

So I'm thinking its not vacuum it's a tertiary component, some electronic dewhicky.

It's my first vee-dub and I don't mind getting my hands dirty but it seems a waste of an hour or two of shop time to look at the same problem each year.

Any ideas?

Also, anyone know where I can get a knob for the Gas valve on the fridge? And any experience in changing the DC heating unit on the fridge?

Thanks loads in advance,

Eric (and Rusty)