Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 8 Jun 2003 16:52:48 -0700
From:         Matt Ratto <mratto@UCSD.EDU>
Subject:      valve cover and vacuum question -1.8 Gas conversion

Hi all,

I've been driving my 1982 Westy, into which I installed a 1.8L gas motor from an 1986 Golf (engine code GX.) It runs OK, but has poor mileage, smells like it's running rich (but the plugs look OK,) and has a kind of loping idle. I've screwed with the mixture, timing, and idle bypass until I'm blue in the face but none of these seem to make much of a difference. I have noticed that I can't get it to run very well if I time it to what the manual says is correct - approx. 8 BTDC. (Currently it's at about 8 ATDC.) For all of these reasons, I assumed I had a vacuum leak somewhere, but after spraying carb cleaner everywhere I can't find any leak.

The other day I was thinking about this problem and I realized that because of the way I had installed the engine (and removed a bunch of exhaust equipment) the vaccuum line that connects to the top of the valve cover was vented directly into the CIS air box (below the filter.) This is in addition to another line also connected to the same place on the top of the valve cover that connects into the intake manifold. (I hope that makes sense.)

In the interest of science, I disconnected the line running to the air box and blocked it up with a piece of (you guessed it) duct tape. The car started running differently, but before I could play with the timing and the rest, I started hearing a funny whining coming from the crankcase. I realized that since this engine does not have a separate crankcase ventilation system (as far as I know) with the valve cover line blocked I was probably creating a lot of pressure in the crankcase. Since this is probably A Bad Thing(tm) I immediately pulled off the duct tape.

So here's my question (for those of you who have read this far): Could the way I've connected the valve cover line be causing a lack of vacuum and making the car run like it has a vacuum leak? If so, how should I connect this line as to provide vacuum but not overpressure the crankcase? Alternatively, is my hypothesis completely wrong, my troubleshooting totally incorrect, and I should buy a honda with the hood welded shut?

any responses are appreciated,

Matt ------------------------------------- Matt Ratto Ph.D. Candidate University of California, San Diego mratto@ucsd.edu http://communication.ucsd.edu/mratto --------------------------------------