Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 15 Jun 2003 11:14:23 -0400
From:         Jeff Stewart <fonman4277@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Fluctuating Idle: Solved!??

Geez, if I have this solved, this is the best Father's Day present I could ask for! Situation: '84 Westy with stock 1.9 engine. I've owned it about 4 months now. Had two problems when I bought it (with the engine). High idle at start up and fluctuating idle when warm. I replaced the plugs, replaced all the vacuum lines, cleaned up every ground connection I could find, replaced the oxygen sensor. Somewhere through all this the high idle problem went away, but the fluctuating idle remained. This is also an automatic. I also had problems which I thought were the trans. It shifted prematurely, shifting into second at about 10 mph and third at about 25. Also, on grades I could not get it to kick down until my speed dropped down to around 35, then it would upshift again at 40. The fluctuating idle also caused a very annoying bucking as I would slow to a stop or make a turn, or try to maintain a constant slow speed, like driving at about 25 mph through town. This morning I played around with the adjustment on the AFM until I finally achieved a smooth idle, then I took it for a test drive. Problem then was too low an idle at stops, engine sounding like it was about to stall, but didn't. Tweaked a little more. Now runs smooth in or out of gear. Took a test drive-incredible!! It feels like it has 30 more HP. Trans now shifts close to the points on the speedometer. Going up a long hill I stomped on it and the trans kicked down and held second gear til around 55 mph. Slowing down to make a stop or turn is smooth. It's the best ride I've had since I bought the thing. And to think I was about ready to order an engine from Tiico!! Jeff