Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 Jun 2003 21:53:05 -0600
From:         Eric and Marica <eric.clarke@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: Cheap car cover for Vanagon

Simple tip.

My Vanagon (Rusty) has a big (18' x 30' I think), cheap (Under $40 at Canadian Tire - it's a Canadian thing!) blue tarp that perfectly covers it (and then some).

It goes on really very easily. Think of wrapping a birthday present. The front, centre eyelet on the tarp (centre of the 18' span) gets a 3" bungee to the tow hook on just right of centre.

The back gets a 3" bungee to the trailer hitch.

I pull out a corner and cross the front and use a 3' bungee to connect the corner eyelet (say from the corner at the front driver's side) to the opposite back fender-well (on the passenger side rear). Tuck in the slack and make a nice, tight seam that sits over the corner of the van. It'll help in the long run.

Do the opposite with the other front corner and join it to the back driver's side wheel well. I do the same at the back going corner to opposite corner and it's wrapped up tight like a Christmas present.

Cut a hole to see through the wind-shield, wrap a 12" ribbon around it and you have a parade float!

Send a picture if you ever do this of course!!

Seriously this has held up to some heavy winds and sticks tight. Also, taking it off is easy because once the four corner bungees are off, you can fold the tarp in half exactly as the centre is held in place.

Hope this helps.

- Eric