Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 Jun 2003 11:36:04 -0700
From:         Steve W <croatoa@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Spongy Brakes (Help!)

Blake, If you have any concern about the rubber hoses you need to replace them regaurdless. It soulds like air in the system but I'm sure someone will know more about it. It's always good to make double sure your connections are tight. 20 times is good but the best way to go is to do it until there are no air bubbles seen in the clear hose or until the brake fluid look nice and new then do a couple more for good measure. Good luck. Steve --- Blake Heinlein <blakeheinlein@YAHOO.COM> wrote: > Hi Everyone, > > I have an 84' Westy. > > Need some help with my spongy feeling brakes. > Here is what I have done. > -Replaced front brake pads with metalic pads > (about 2 yrs ago) > -Replaced master cylinder (last night) > -Bleed brakes using two person system, > depressing the pedal and hold. Open > bleed valve and close before letting off the > pedal. Repeat 20 times per > wheel. > > The brakes are still spongy. As I depress the > pedal it increases in > resistance and then makes a tapping sound (like > hitting metal) and then > depresses more. The brakes kinda stop the van > but when I slam on them, > it's a little scary, not producing a positive > feel. > > Here is what I think might be the problem: > -The rubber brake hoses are old and starting to > balloon. > -Front brake pads aren't set right. > -Not bleed properly. > > Now, What do you think! I need some > experience. > > Thanks in advance, > > Blake Heinlein

===== Steve croatoa@yahoo.com