Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 Jun 2003 19:19:38 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: redtek web site
Comments: To: Vanagon Man <vgonman@MSN.COM>

At 06:13 PM 6/17/2003, Vanagon Man wrote: >All i seem to find is the Canadian site......what is the US address for >this site, and what is the high side pressure?

I doubt you'll find a US site since the stuff is not legal for anyone working for "a consideration" to put into an automotive system per part 609 and/or 612 of the EPA regs. No flammable refrigerant is approved for automotive use in the US, and each specific mixture by brand name that *is* approved must have a corresponding unique set of fittings (specified by EPA) put on the system so that the next guy down the line knows how to recycle it.

These EPA regs specifically *don't* address someone working on his own vehicle for his own purposes -- I haven't found any clear discussion of that person's situation, or what his responsibility might be later on if a professional worked on the system. Actually a professional knowing what was in the system could not possibly work on it legally since it would not have the correct approved fittings which do not exist for a specifically non-approved refrigerant. If a pro worked on the system *without* knowing what was in it, and it blew his R-12 recycling machine to smithereens and burnt down the shop, I don't think our owner would be in a very good position...

Personally I'd research the legal situation a good deal more thoroughly before using the stuff.

david

-- David Beierl - Providence RI USA -- http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"