Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 Jun 2003 21:16:43 -0400
From:         Mike B <mikeyb@THECABLE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Anyone try THIS stuff on their LP Tank?

> tanks or wheel wells that get blasted with rocks > daily. Oh, and Epoxy paint will melt POR-15 > Topcoat.....so a thick rubberized coating OVER POR-15 > should be the best IMO, anyone else?

I sandblasted the metal, used metal prep and marine clean before applying 3-4 coats of POR-15 to my beetle. I accidentally hit it once with a Dewalt grinder with a braided wire wheel at full speed. It barely dulled the POR-15.

I ended up covering the POR-15 in the wheel wheels with the nice 3m stuff (body shutz maybe???). Don't know how well the stuff will stick to the POR-15, but I had to do it. The front left wheel well was messed up because the parts place gave me the part and the body guy couldn't get the metal perfect and had to use a small amount of bondo (Note: SMALL amount, all other wheel wells where 100% metal, no skim coat).

So, I did all the wells with the body shutz to make the match.

Mike