Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Jun 2003 06:48:50 -0500
From:         Chuck Mathis <cmathis@HOUSTON.RR.COM>
Subject:      Re: The One Man Brake Bleed Show

I bought a 'power bleeder' from Rocky Mountain Motor Works a while back. If you are handy you could build your own using a small garden sprayer, a pressure guage, a hose barb gizmo, and a spare brake fluid resevior cap. Drill a hole in the sprayer and screw the pressure guage into it. Drill a hole through the cap for the hose barb and attach the sprayer hose -- you'll want to modify the sprayer head so you can still use the valve. There were instructions to build one of these on the BMW board a couple years ago.

To flush and bleed the brake system you first use a turkey baster to get as much of the old fluid out of the resevior as you can, dump a big can of brake fluid into the sprayer, attach the cap to the resevior, pump it up to about 25 psi, and start opening the bleeder screws one at a time starting with the right rear. I have to pump it up each time I do a wheel but it takes maybe 20 minutes from start to finish.

Just make sure you never use the sprayer on you roses and nobody retuens the baster to kitchen use.

Chuck '85 Wolfsburg Westy - 'Roland the Road Buffalo'