Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Jun 2003 23:12:46 -0700
From:         "Loren A. Busch" <lbusch@IX.NETCOM.COM>
Subject:      Re: Auxiliary Battery

The only battery that will fit is a Group 41 or 42, the 42 being smaller. No one seems to have found a sealed/gell/gas mat type battery that will fit. But do you really need a deep cycle battery? I just replaced my aux battery (yesterday in fact). I went with what has served me well over the years, a standard starting battery. And I have quite a bit of 'stuff' that I run off the aux battery, sometimes for up to a week. It works fine. If you are going to be running a heavy load off the aux battery with the engine off, and doing this on a daily basis then consider the extra expense of a deep cycle battery. If you are only going to be drawing down the aux battery on those few occasions that you are camping (I assume you are not full-timing in the Westy) then save some money and go with the standard battery, about a third or less the cost of the fancy stuff. If you have to replace it every couple of years, your still ahead. Costco used to carry the Group 41, picked up two for my '85 there in the spring of 2001. When I checked recently, no group 41's on the rack. I didn't ask if I could special order them, went to the local battery shop, swapped lies about Westfalias (the shop manager drive a nice '75) and had him pop one in, five year warranty.