Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Jun 2003 10:52:03 -0700
From:         Damon Campbell <damoncampbellvw@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Spongy Brakes (Help!)
Comments: To: Blake Heinlein <blakeheinlein@YAHOO.COM>

Blake, i'm not sure it is of much comfort to you, but my '84 westy is kind of similar... The brakes work, but i most certainly can't lock them up. Fortunately, i happen to know the PO and original purchaser of my van (my dad), and he says it has been like that since day one. I don't really have the metal clunk phenomena, though...

The only thing i am still trying to extract from this list is the difference between older model brakes like yours and mine, and the newer '86+ ones.

Fortunately, with an '84, you typically can't get going fast enough to really need uber-brakes ;-)

If ever you are in fremont, CA, you are welcome to try my van and see how it feels stopping, simply for comparison...

Good luck, and i totally understand your need to have better working brakes!

-Damon

--- Blake Heinlein <blakeheinlein@YAHOO.COM> wrote: > Thanks for the great thread everyone. I'm the > original poster > > When I slam the pedal to the floor I can't get my > wheels to lock up. That > the bad part. > > I hope that I haven't tapped all the ideas out of > the list. :) > > Thanks for all the comments and help everyone. > Blake Heinlein > 84' Westy. > Sacramento, CA

===== '84 Westy (Sparky) '65 Kharma Ghia (Dharma)