Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 15 Jun 2003 15:08:56 -0400
From:         David Brodbeck <gull@GULL.US>
Subject:      Re: Compare & Contrast: Diesel Westy vs. 2.1 WBX Westy
Comments: To: Sam Payne <bungeegull@HOTMAIL.COM>

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003, Sam Payne wrote:

> After more archive searching and conversations, I decided on a 50 > degree installation on diesel mounts using a diesel bellhousing and > flywheel AND preferably a diesel transmission (either ratio). I found > Frank Grunethaner's drive train ratio discussions very persuasive. Do I > have any of the diesel parts? Of course not!

First off, I'm not sure you want to use a diesel tranny if this will be a gas I4. It's got *very* short gearing. The accelleration will seem nice but you'll rapidly tire of listening to the engine doing 4,000+ RPM on the freeway, unless you don't want to drive fast. I like my diesel, but it's not a quiet beast. Also, you have to consider the extra wear and tear on the engine when it's spinning at those high RPMs, and the fuel economy you'll sacrifice. A diesel can spin at 4,000 RPM and still get 25 mpg, but a gas engine can't.

> Well, I don't know enough about differences between the models. I've > looked through Bentley and looked online, but I would really appreciate > knowledge and opinions on differences betweel post '86 models and diesels > and problems peculiar to the diesel models.

No power steering. I don't consider this a big deal, but some people do.

Some of the parts are hard to find. The radiator is unique to the diesel, but can be replaced with later-model parts if you rework the upper mounts, I'm told. Coolant hoses are NLA, so you may have to make your own fittings to replace the three-way and four-way hoses with normal ones. The diesel radiator has one major flaw, and that's that the thermo switches are mounted high. If you get an air bubble in the system, the thermo switches will be hanging in air instead of water and the fan won't cycle on. (You *shouldn't* ever have an air bubble that big in the rad, but shit happens.) On the other hand, the diesel cooling system is, in my experience, extremely easy to bleed.

The heater box in the '82 diesels is unique and inferior to the later system. I'm told it's a straight swap, though.

All of the I4 engines in Vanagons tend to tear muffler mounts. They're not a great expense, but they are a regular wear item. Some of the gas exhaust systems people have rigged up tend to crack and break up. There are a lot of opportunities to create lengths of exhaust pipe that will resonate at certain engine speeds and shake the whole thing apart. Even the diesel exhaust system can suffer from this if one of the rubber mounts fails.

For engine mounting parts, if you keep the '86 you may be best off getting a diesel van with a blown engine and scavenging the parts from it. That way you'll have all the pieces and won't be missing anything.

I don't think I'd consider the 3/4 slider hub a distinction between vans unless one of the vans you're considering has a rebuilt transmission. From what I've heard they're prone to breakage in *all* model years.

> On the camper side, does the diesel pop top > canvas attach differently and if so is it reliable, does the fridge have a > diode to show when the flame is lit, did pre '86 propane tanks typically > have the auto-stop fill valve feature and etc etc etc.

The pop-top is identical except it doesn't have the skylight. One can be added; there are creases molded into the top at the right place, you just need to cut the hole. The differences in the camper interior between the different years are pretty minor.

The fridge has an LED to indicate whether the pilot is lit. Don't know about the auto stop because my tank's been worked on by the previous owner and may not have the original equipment.

Hope this helps. I'm not sure where you live, but if you're in the SE Michigan area you're welcome to look over my '82 if you think it'll help.

David Brodbeck, N8SRE '82 Diesel Westfalia '94 Honda Civic Si