Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Jun 2003 20:37:07 -0700
From:         "Loren A. Busch" <lbusch@IX.NETCOM.COM>
Subject:      Re: GPS Questions

Larry got the Earthmate receiver to work with Streets & Trips. It does not create a route log or display speed/bearing/distance on the laptop screen as the other software did, but has coverage in Canada.

I've used Streets and Trips for trip planning for several years and like it very much. And it's cheap, less than $20 after rebates etc. Diffucult to explain the process here, but easy to use once you learn the software (like any other package) and has done a great job providing printed directions to get me to some obscure addresses. I prefer the convenience of planning a trip on the computer rather than on a small GPS unit. I believe that you can load a route into the dashboard units from your computer. I mount a GPS unit on the dash, and can connect it realtime to the laptop, but have not found that practical. If really lost I could use that alternative. I find that the printed directions are easier to use. I can visualize the advantages of a system that tells me to prepare to turn and what direction but it would take some getting used to. For the time being my free maps from AAA and prior planning will have to do.