Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Jun 2003 21:56:45 -0600
From:         Eric and Marica <eric.clarke@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: cats and campers

I have 2 cat experiences - both relate to starting cats off at an early age.

1) I'm (at the time) 25, Single, drive a motorcycle and live in Vancouver BC. I find a kitten in the garbage bin of my apartment block and become an official cat owner - and cat person. Calvin (the cat) and I discovered one day while coming home from the vet, he absolutely loved to ride my motorcycle - in a khaki shoulder bag hanging off my shoulder with his head sticking out. I discover at a pit stop at the bank that having a kitten or a cat, in a shoulder bag, is a chick magnet equal only to carrying a live baby. Easier to get a date than carrying a bassinette though! Calvin took to sleeping in the shoulder bag and even after I ended up married some 4 years later, went everywhere I did on the bike, in the bag.

2) Perhaps more to the point, my aunt and uncle took their Abyssinian Cat all over North America in a (ahem) Toyota Camper and she had the run of the place when it was in motion - except the front seat area. She was kept in the van on her own as a kitten and knew it inside and out and I think most importantly, she spent most of her time in it without it ever moving. She was exposed to the running of the engine and short trips so the experiences were not that exciting. But wherever they when, she was on a harness and 'have the leash on the cat before opening the doors'. Lived to be 14, passed away last fall.

And if you're wondering about my little buddy Calvin? Well, it turned out that my wife and my cat had in fact pretty much come to despise one another. He went to a good home with a little girl that loved him and he lived a long happy life. My wife never really was much a cat person at all as fate would have it... And dogs travel well and may also still have some chick magnetism effect! But please don't tell my wife that or I'll loose the dogs too!!

Have a good night,

Eric