Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 Jun 2003 09:28:30 -0700
From:         Brian brian <jackstraw723@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      spares story, and a tip for the day

Well, it is Friday, so here is a story for y'all.

Two summers ago I had the van (1.9L 84 Westy, about 120K at this point) in the shop for a poor running diagnosis and was relieved to learn it was merely a worn-out cap and rotor. The mechanic put on a new one and away I went to see one Mr. Phil Lesh in Charlotte North Carolina, leaving from home in northern Michigan. After about seven.5 hours I was southbound on I-77 in Ohio when it started to rain. After about ten minutes of heavy rain the engine started running ragged and then quit, with no re-starting. I couldn't make heads or tails of the situation and I really started to think that I sure would be glad to see a VW come by about now. Not long after another Westy came by in the northbound lane; we looked at each other and I hoped he would come back which he did after a ten mile trip to the next exit. This kind gentleman with an 85 Westy suggested taking the black plastic cover off the distributor cap, which we did to discover huge visible cracks in it - after only 500 some miles and 7.5 hours! No, it wasn't Bosch, it was ever cheap crap my mechanic can get and then mark up 100%. My new friend had another cap - a Bosch cap from a Jetta, and covered with JB-Weld repairs. "It ain't great, but it'll get you down the road a little ways." It did, and I proceeded south to Cambridge, OH, home of the Beetle Barn, which I had seen many times while on I-77. By this time it was ten o'clock at night, so along with some more new friendly local kids I met at the grocery store buying refreshments, I thought I'd crash outside the wonderful junkyard until morning. But the kind owner of the Beetle Barn came out and said he'd help get me on the road that night, which was good because the show-time clock was starting to tick. He sold me a new Bosch cap and away I went, somewhat to the dismay of my friends who were falling in love with my wonderfully saintly female rider. We got about another twenty miles south when the fun started again. I pulled the new Bosch cap and discovered one post to be completely discolored, a weird purplish color instead of nice shiny bright copper. So, back on went the welded cap from the Jetta and down the road we went to my good friend at Danny's VW Repair outside of Charleston, WV, where I had once previously lived for a couple days diagnosing a bad ECU. We crashed there and in the morning Danny hooked me up with another new Bosch cap and we all lived happily ever after for the most part.

During this experience I learned how to monitor the health of your spark distribution system - once in a while, look at your motor (running) in the dark, _without_ a flashlight. Any spark leakage will be quickly apparent. A completely new cap and set of wires won't show any leakage, but this will change over time. I had probably never looked at a running motor in the dark without using a flashlight.

This experience taught me to begin carrying spares. I still have that JB weld cap and it saved me again a month ago during a night of extremely heavy rain and several flooded road construction areas when I cracked two caps on the same night. (I think this is probably less of a problem in vans with an A/C pump, which protects the cap a bit more from splashing water).

I have since learned a great deal more about how my motor works and I have all sorts of spares; I hope to be able to re-pay my debt to the VW world by helping out someone else somewhere someday. I just returned from Bonnaroo, where I happened to ask four Vanagon owners if they had any spares (I have to pound on my starter with a hammer about once a day right now (I have a spare rebuilt alternator to trade)), and all four of them replied something along the lines of "the van is running great, why would I need any spares?"