Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 Jun 2003 09:56:22 -0700
From:         Brian brian <jackstraw723@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      fuel system

So last week for the first time in my life I ran out of gas. I think. The first time this happened the needle on the fuel gauge was sitting at the top of the orange area; about an 1/8th of a tank left I think. (I had replaced the fuel filter only a few days and 100 miles previously) This coincided with an extremely wheezy sound to the fuel pump; the nice crisp pressurization when you turn the key had been replaced by a weak sigh. I could still get it to run momentarily, but when I checked the fuel pressure at the T-connection fitting it wouldn't rise above 5 psi. So I switched in the pump from my other van, which has an equal number of miles. Problem solved, I thought.

A few days later the van quit with a bit more gas in it. I checked out a lot of things for a couple hours and was beginning to think the new/used pump was also shot, though it still had a good sound to it. But then I tried pouring in five gallons of gas and it ran perfectly.

So now obviously I don't let the guage go below a quarter tank, but I'm wondering what is going on. To add to the fun, I have a leak at the top of the tank, probably in one of the expansion tanks or connections, because it only leaks very slightly when I let the pump top-off the tank. After I drive a mile and stop there is no more leak. So I think maybe this allows a bit of air in which perhaps creates a lower pressure when the tank is very low? Or is a strainer blocked? Or is the pump weakening and it can't pull from a low tank?