Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 Jun 2003 10:12:46 -0700
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Compare & Contrast: Diesel Westy vs. 2.1 WBX Westy
Comments: To: Maynard Southard <echomhs@GIS.NET>

Yes, all Vanagon 091 trannys use the early style shift linkage. All 091/1 use the newer style as do 094 - 5 speed and Syncro variants. The 2 linkage setups are quite different in several ways, I won't go into this now.

The diesel Vanagons sold in North America came with 3 different trannys.

DZ 091 4 speed with 5.83 r+p (mostly 82 Westys) DM 091 4 speed with 5.43 r+p (mostly 82 passenger) DX 094 5 speed with 5.43 r+p (83 models)

Mark

Maynard Southard wrote: > > I'm a little confused too, but I'm trying to make sense out of this. > > >From Tom's site (http://volksweb.relitech.com/helmut/GEARBOX.HTM), I > noticed that the US air-cooled tranny (DK) and the earliest diesel > tranny (DM) are both type "091". I have an air-cooled DK tranny on the > floor of my garage and the shifter linkage attaches to it, in what > appears to be, the same "forward" location as the tranny in my 82 Westy > Diesel. I cannot read the code on the '82 Westy D. > > My '86 Diesel DoubleCab (European model) has an ACP tranny (I have read > it). It's shift linkage attachment is different from my '82-D and is > located more to the center, as Jim describes below. Tom's chart says > that this ACP tranny is type "091/1". > > My question: Do all "091" trannies use the forward shifter linkage > connection and the "091/1" trannies use the center linkage? > > If so, then can I assume that my '82-D has the DM tranny, since it has > the forward location on the shift linkage? > > If, instead, my '82-D had the DY diesel tranny, which Tom's chart shows > to be type "091/1", then wouldn't it have the same shift linkage set-up > as my '86 D-DoubleCab? > > Maybe this explains why john's friend was able to install the '86 gas > tranny into his diesel->I4 gas conversion: if he had a "later" model > Diesel Vanagon with the DY tranny then the shifter linkage was the > same. > > Am I totally off base? Daryl, are you out there? > > Maynard