Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 Jun 2003 10:17:01 -0700
From:         Brian brian <jackstraw723@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      1.9l syndromne, not lawwnngg

Hi there, it's me again. A month ago I sent a long ramble about the fun I was having with a 1.9L Westy with 160K miles on it. Several folks gave me tips and I thought I'd let you know how it all turned out. I had several things going on at once - herky-jerkyness while driving, occasional gradual power loss, lots of blue smoke in the exhaust, poor starting, and a near-constant rich-running condtion continually fouling the spark plugs. My mistake was looking for a single explanation. Over an extremely not-fun three week period (my busiest time of year at work, working with very perishable bare-root tree seedlings) I think I solved all the problems.

The random occasional hiccup I think was due to a fuel pump relay that had a loose part inside. I could test it all I wanted while not moving, but the problem only occurred at speed. Finally I pulled the relay and shook it, and put in another one. For only $5 each, I would suggest scoring one or two on your next parts order.

The sickening slow loss of all power I think was the dieing throes of my fuel pump, though I'm not 100% on that. (see other post).

The blue smoke in the exhaust still occurs but only under one condition - when re-starting the van within a few minutes of stopping while very hot, I still see a large cloud of smoke on occasion. Otherwise the exhaust is back to normal. I still have a slight compression loss issue on one cylinder that might relate to this via bad rings, I'll report on that next week. Replacing the Oxygen sensor and one of the exhaust gaskets at the cylinder head, ahead of the sensor, cleared up the richness it seems.

The rough starts were due in part to all of the above, but I wasn't suspecting that a newly-rebuilt starter had only had the solenoid replaced with no other work done. (again see other post).

so, learn how everything works, and don't discount the possibility of even "new" parts failing.