Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 22 Jun 2003 08:54:11 -0400
From:         Dan Erlandson <danoer1@ECLIPSE.NET>
Subject:      valve question

I am finishing up a head gasket job and had originally set the valves as per Bentley to 3 turns past contact with the stems. I now see things in the archives that make me want to do 1 turn. Consensus?

Questions:

1. One of the push rods (cylinder 4... it is 1& 4 on the passenger side and 2 and 3 on the drivers side, no?) seems loose at certain times as I hand crank the engine. Not when it is at TDC, but at other times, noy sure exactly when. Is this ok?? I can spin it and it does not seem to be making great contact with the concave part of the rocker arm at this point in the engine rotation. I have also heard a single loud click at times when I have rotated the engine by hand... am thinking that it is this pushrod seating itself... Comments/help?

2. When I filled the engine up with oil I had the valve covers off and found oil leaking out of drivers side, but not out of passenger side??? I did not think that oil would leak out at all, or very small amount... does this relate to the hydraulic lifters and the fact that the head job has taken me 5 days and the engine has stood for those days without oil??? Anything special to be done in this area before I start her for the first time??

Thanks for all of the help this past week.

-- Dan Erlandson Flemington, NJ > danoer1@eclipse.net 91 VW Vanagon GL 170,000 mi 99 VW Passat 107,000 mi