Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 Jun 2003 19:01:02 -0500
From:         Derek Krueger <Derek.Krueger@DRKRU.COTSE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Buying on E-bay
Comments: To: Douglas L Urner <dlu@CANISHE.COM>

I bought my 84 Vanagon Wolfsburg Westfalia with Tiico on eBay. That was almost two years ago and I am very happy with the deal. The van lived in South Carolina and I in Minnesota. The van is very nice and has placed first twice at local VW shows (tooting my own horn). I got the van for less than it is worth to me, and considerably less than others have valued her at. It should be noted that I was looking both at online classifieds as well as eBay - eBay is where I found my van.

Why did I buy on eBay? - I wanted a rust-free van, something not often found here in MN. - I had some specific wants and needs, and the local selection made it difficult to find anything that fit the bill. - I wanted a van with engine conversion.

My buying experience, or How I got my head around it... - Number one, you have to trust your gut. To me, this van just felt right. - The PO was very forthcoming with information. We talked extensively via email and the phone. He provided me with pictures (dozens and dozens) and documentation. - Full maintenance records to 1990. Every thing had been done to this van. Additionally, the PO went to great lengths to make the van just right. This is especially true with the Tiico conversion. - The PO was a list member and VW enthusiast. I could tell he loved the van and his three other VWs as well. - To repeat, I trusted my gut. The deal felt right and the price was below my predetermined "high mark."

I did not inspect the van before purchase - this was not possible. I did, however, have the option of canceling the sale if when I arrived in SC and did my own inspection things were not as represented or there were undisclosed problems or mechanical issues. Ya, I would have been out airfare but all things considered that was not a big deal.

One of the best purchases I have ever made. Have traveled over 20,000 almost trouble-free miles since purchase.

Cheers, Derek