Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Jun 2003 07:59:11 -0700
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: SUV Bashing)  was Think Positive to start your new year
Comments: To: steeles@HORIZONVIEW.NET

The VW designers would do well to emulate the thinking that has gone into this open platform concept. ----------------- Clip ------------------------ VW is currently learning that the American Public will buy horsepower at extremely high prices and the heck with utility or fuel economy. The competition in the mini van market is about the toughest market to breach. VW has since about 2000, whenever they brought out the new Beatles, discovered that the high performance models outsell the practical smaller engine variety. I can remember back in the 50's, VWs were a practical man's car right in there with American Motors buyers as the practical approach to economical transportation. I have noted that many SUV / MPV manufacturers tout massive horsepower as their main selling point and if VW came out with a 250 - 400 Hp road racket that only got ten miles to a gallon they'd be right there with the 'Gunna get there before you crowd' that dominates our roads and highways today. With enough horsepower to pull travel trailers and boats they'd soon have market share. Even with the newest Euro Vans they haven't gone to the possible full flat floor that most SUV / MPV buyers get with competitive vehicles. VW has a world wide market not shared by many other US or Asian competitors so their planning must address the practical fuel usage and moderate HP standards of many nations. Then there is my personal take on VW Dealerships and Parts Departments; Both the Dealerships and Parts departments are about the least friendly of any and all other dealerships I've ever been to. I'm sure that there are exceptions to friendliness at various dealerships but I've yet to find one in the dealerships I've been to in ten states.

Stan Wilder

________________________________________________________________ The best thing to hit the internet in years - Juno SpeedBand! Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER! Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up today!