Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Jun 2003 10:14:00 -0700
From:         Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Serious Saturday Potta Potti Question
Comments: To: jefferrata@YAHOO.COM

I also have one of these "ottomans" that I used to keep stuff in until I got a portly-potti. I guess now It could be called a "potto-man", and it a great additon to the camper. The potti is out of sight and mind , and less likely to spill. It seals air-tight. The chemical makes it odorless.

Mine has the permanently attached cushion in brown-green stripe. The Porta-Potti I have (by Thetford) is the 135. It has a 2.6 gallon holding tank.

The larger capacity tanks are too tall for the box. The Thetford 235 will also fit- it has a level gauge.

The Sanipotti 962 by Sealand will also fit the box.It holds 2.8 gallons.

I'm not sure about the other style of Westy water-closet box- the one with the removable cushion.

I fugure that even if I could have a 4-6 gallon holding tank, I would'nt want it because it's weight.

Another thing that make these a good choice is the trap handle is reached thru the box handle - and the whole box can be placed behind a tree , rock , etc when camping.

You can keep extra TP in the box, and a spray bottle of disinfectant. The holding tank detaches from the fresh water tank for easy handling.

They can be emptied at any RV wastewater dump station.

Robert

1982 Westfalia

----Original Message Follows---- From: Jeffrey Earl <jefferrata@YAHOO.COM> Reply-To: Jeffrey Earl <jefferrata@YAHOO.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Serious Saturday Potta Potti Question Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 09:35:09 -0700

Bob Elliott wrote: I've got a photo of a Porta Potti Storage box that was supposedly sold as a VW option when Vanagons were new ... It's upholstered and padded on top in matching VW seat material. Does anyone on the list have one of these or has built their own?

Jeffrey wrote: Indeed, I have one of these original(?) Westfalia toities. The original owner of my 1983 van took delivery of her at the factory in Germany (can there be a greater joy in this world than tooling a shiny new Vanagon thru the gates of Hannover?). As legend has it, there was a Westfalia Store just around the corner where new owners could swing in and purchase all manner of special Westfalia accessories with which to outfit their new campers, including the abovementioned potty-box.

I do not know if it originally included the porto-potty itself, or if it was only the enclosure cabinet; I seem to recall that the toilet mechanism itself was US-made. The cabinet certainly does match the Westy interior very nicely, with the same laminate sides and a cushioned seat-lid upholstered in the same enchanting early-80's fabric we all know and love. I'd be happy to take some photos and measurements for list members interested in building their own, or simply for the scatalogically curious.

On your typical Interstate/National Park/crosscountry road trip, you'll usually find yourself not far from a truckstop or convenience store, so I think the Westy watercloset would best be used for backcountry trips with female traveling partners, who understandably are more inconvenienced by certain aspects of the outdoor experience.

We have not yet used ours, as it was only last year that I was finally able to bring myself to empty its contents and hose the thing out. I do not yet feel it is entirely 'mine'. So for now it lurks in a dark corner of the garage, waiting, beckoning, calling me to come and do my dirty business ...

Jeffrey Earl 1983 diesel Westfalia "Vanasazi"