Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Jun 2003 13:25:06 -0500
Comments:     Resent-From: Jim Fritz <jfritz@alpinecom.net>
Comments:     Originally-From: Jim Fritz <jfritz@decorah.k12.ia.us>
From:         Jim Fritz <jfritz@ALPINECOM.NET>
Subject:      Pearls of wisdom requested

Volks,

Been lurking off-line for the past couple of years. Trying to apply TLC to the Westy.

First question: I've developed the dreaded seam rust on passenger side, rear quarter, below the sliding door track. I actually suspect that the door track was the culprit as its got some serious rust between the track and body.

In all honesty, I'd like to repaint the whole van. But, I don't trust any locals. Does anybody know of a dependable shop in the upper midwest that knows what to do with a Westy and will give me a paint job that'll fix the seam rust and last another 14 years?

Second question: The relief valve on the propane tank seems kaput. I know that its not replaceable and am not thrilled at total tank replacement. I got an O ring replacement kit from Euro-American and I'm installing it today. The problem is that everything pumped in shoots out of a little hole on the bottom side of the valve. It doesn't appear to be a part of the O ring problem but I figured $10 O ring job is better than $200 tank job so I'm going to try it. Any suggestions?

Third question: I've searched the archives for a three bike rack that mounts on the rear hatch and still allows access to the rear. I've found one from Bus Depot that fits on a trailer hitch but its pricey when you add the hitch. Any success by members on other types??

TIA Jim in Iowa 91 Passat Wagon GL 89 Westy 66 Beetle