Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Jun 2003 14:42:50 -0700
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: RoadHaus - Delorme USB GPS & MS Streets 2003 / Usage Report
Comments: To: roadguy@ROADHAUS.COM

Larry! Who's driving the Van while you do all this Alpha and Beta testing? Buy a map. Listen to Ansel Adams. Seems he had it figured out 50 years ago.

Stan Wilder

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 12:05:35 -0700 Larry Chase <roadguy@ROADHAUS.COM> writes: > Volks, > > After struggling to get the new Delorme USB GPS receiver to work > with MS > Streets & Trips 2003 > > .... I now have 2 weeks of usage experience to report on. > > In short .. it sucks. > > I'm sorry ... I meant to say I'd give the combo a 2/5 rating. > > Setup ... Laptop computer, Delorme USB GPS Receiver & MS Streets & > Trips > 2003 > > Hardware: Delorme USB GPS Receiver > > Rating 2/5 > > Pro's: > Low cost .. approx $100 US > Small size ... 1 1/2" square > > Con's: > Frequent lost signal drop outs (not just in dense forest or narrow > mountain roads). > WAAS is disabled when using with MS Streets (so at times accuracy is > off > by several miles) > > Software: MS Streets & Trips 2003 > > Rating 3/5 > > Pro's > Low cost ... approx $30 US > Decent maps for web publishing > Maybe be the only Roads & Streets solution for Canada (Not > including > Topo software) > > Con's: > Canada maps very lacking in detail > - Mainly major streets and highways > - Minor roads and trials not visible > Zoom level .. detail disappears as you zoom to high magnification. > - Example ... you will see a roadway at say mid zoom level. > - But when you zoom down another level or so the roadway > disappears > in many cases. All you see is a white page. > GPS Detail very minimal. No vehicle speed indicator, satellite > connection info or digital compass. > > Comments: > > MS Streets and Trips "MAY BE" the only streets mapping software > available for Canada. > > For USA usage I prefer the navigation and detail available in > Delorme > Street Atlas USA 2003. > > Recommendation: > > Canada ... try MS Streets & Trips 2003 with a different GPS > receiver > > USA ... try Delorme Street Atlas USA 2003 with a different GPS > receiver > > Note .. I was using a Delorme Serial receiver with a USB adapter > cord > and Delorme Street Atlas USA 2003 for my USA setup. It seemed to pick > up > more satellites and had far less dropped signals than their new USB > unit. Was very happy with this combo in the USA. However that GPS > receiver will not work with MS Streets & Trips 2003 . > > > > "When words become unclear, I shall focus on Photographs. > When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." > - Ansel Adams > > > Larry Chase > Email: RoadGuy@RoadHaus.com > Web: <http://www.roadhaus.com/> www.RoadHaus.com > Cell: 480 620 8966 > What: North American Road Trip > How: RoadHaus - 1990 White VW Westfalia Syncro > Today: Happily Lost on Vancouver Island, BC > >

________________________________________________________________ The best thing to hit the internet in years - Juno SpeedBand! Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER! Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up today!