Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Jun 2003 10:43:45 -0500
From:         Owen <olists@THEBRANDS.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Portable Air Conditioner for Westy?
Comments: To: mrvolkswagen@HOTMAIL.COM

Sorry for the late reply to this thread. I need to look back through my stored best of the vanagon.com list to give proper credit for this idea. It was a lifesaver last summer.

Actual price and manufacturer The unit below is is the closest to the unit I bought last summer. My wife reminded me that we paid closer to 89.00 for the unit. (Now that I think about it I found another one in the $60.00 range that required shipping that brought it to the price to stop in walmart and pick one up in route.) Time makes everything seem less painful.

It is a Goldstar 5000 btu mini window unit bought last July in Utah. If I have time later I will measure the dimensions of the Goldstar and take pictures of the full setup in all of it's rag tag glory.

How to I strapped it into the luggage rack with no waterproofing and it worked fine after repeated hard driving rains. I put a cut to fit ac filter across the coil to keep bugs out as we drove. When setting up camp with shore power I simply placed it up on the edge of the storage bin and placed a folding camp stool under it to make it level. I fed the power cord down through the unzipped screen and via a heavier service cord into the shore power outlet. The previously mentioned blanket and clothespin hack kept the cold air channeled into the van. The remote allowed for the late night adjustment. A towel across the lifting bar directs air into the lower area so the top bunk isn't a complete meat locker.

Tear down The unit has a u channel metal bracket for window mounting. This works nicely to bungee across for tie down. Tear down consists of setting the unit back in the storage bin. Snake the power cord back through the screen and and bungee cord the unit securely into the storage bin using the u channel. Still enough room for the folding camp table and 4 stools. While it adds to the box against the wind aerodynamics I still get on average about 18-20 mpg out of my old 1.9 so drag is negligible.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris S" <mrvolkswagen@HOTMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, June 23, 2003 9:21 PM Subject: Re: Portable Air Conditioner for Westy?