Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 22 Jun 2003 10:16:33 -0700
From:         HC Carter <hccarter@ATTBI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Distributor Electrical Connections?
Comments: To: mike boland <westy@mvboland.com>

Hey Mike-

Thanks for the quick response! Here's what I've got:

The wiring looks to be mostly original, although I'm no expert. There is a small bundle that splits from the main engine harness at the front/left/top of the engine compartment near the wire connection junction box. This bundle comes across the top of the engine to the distributor.

Inside the small bundle is an even smaller sub-bundle of 3 wires and one separate brown wire. This smaller sub-bundle of three wires goes to the distributor plug connection. The sub-bundle contains one red/black wire, one green wire, and one brown/white wire - these wires go through the plug connector into the dizzy. The plug connector is broken where it attaches to the side of the dizzy.

The separate brown wire has a broken copper connector on the end -and- it was wedged into a space between a nut and the crankcase vent - not really fastened down!

I looked at a wiring diagram for a 91 vanagon and I did not see the separate brown wire. I assume it is a ground that could be fastened down to any close nut/bolt on top of the engine?!?

There is also a bare metal grounding wire that goes from the dizzy's metal static shield thing to the base of the dizzy.

Does this sound right? Anyone in the Seattle area got an extra/cheap plug connector for the side of the dizzy?

Thanks again, HC 86 Syncro ===