Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 25 Jun 2003 09:00:48 -0600
From:         Bob Stevens <mtbiker62@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: SUV Bashing)  was Think Positive to start your new year
Comments: To: Thomas Brobst <TJBROBS@ACCUSORT.COM>

I like being able to stand up to cook, wash, change clothes, etc. with the Westy. I also like being able to store "stuff" in the upper bed after I get "there", and have easy access to it and my living space is uncluttered. I also keep extra blankets, collapsible 6-pak ice chest, Crazy Creek chair in the small open space in the back of the upper bed. Being able to pop up the top also creates venting for warmer days and while cooking. I'm a Westy guy ;>)

Bob Stevens '87 Syncro Westy http://groups.msn.com/BobsPhotoShare

----- Original Message ----- From: "Thomas Brobst" <TJBROBS@ACCUSORT.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, June 25, 2003 8:32 AM Subject: Re: SUV Bashing) was Think Positive to start your new year

Bill, you said it all. It's the really the Vanagon spaciousness that no other vehicle offers. And thanks for the comparison to the Westys. I have 84 and 91 GLs which I love but lately I've been coveting a Westy. I guess the grass is always greener........

Thomas Brobst Accu-Sort Systems, Inc Staff Mechanical Engineer 215-721-5061 fax 215-799-1600

If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it? -Albert Einstein

>>> Bill Marshall <Willolyn99@AOL.COM> 6/25/03 >>> Stan wants to know any outstanding features about the standard vanagon.

Stan, I wouldn't own a westy. Too much crap inside that isn't used every day. My 'standard' Vanagon has the fold-out bed in back, that's about it. I also took out the middle seat, permanently. So, this is why I would have a standard vanagon over any other vehicle or westy:

The interior volume is enormous compared to any vehicle it's size. If you want that much room in any other van you have to go to a bigger model. I've had 4 people, including all sorts of their climbing and camping gear, all relaxing and chatting in the back with plenty of room to spare. I've carried as many as 10 people in it.

The ground clearance is great, makes for more fun off road. No, it isn't a syncro, but it still goes romping over the rough stuff if the weather is nice. Had a helluva trip on the East Rim of the Grand Canyon a couple years ago, killer arroyos.

The turning radius is WAY smaller than most other vans. Dodge caravans are impossible in a parking lot.

The A/C blows right in my face, not lost in the back of the van like a westy.

Engine is conveniently located -- you don't even have to get out of the van to fix the engine, change plugs, or add oil. (easier to get to than a westy, too)

On a similar note, the higher deck in back is really nice for loading/unloading heavy stuff. Much better for carting lumber and plywood around.

The vanagon has a more 'open' feel to it than other vans. The dash is lower, and farther away, so you feel less enclosed.

Still sleeps 3 on the big bed, no climbing into the roof.

Side windows open farther than the westy model windows. Yep, go check it.

My big cooler probably works better than the westy fridge -- $3 worth of Ice goes for many days at colder temps, doesn't kill the battery ;-)

It looks cool even without the pop-top.

With either a westy or a passenger van, you are still way ahead of the minivan market. My in-laws have had chrysler minivans for years, and I've driven them many times. Yuck. Nasty little cave with a crappy turning radius that scrapes the bottom when you go over a speed bump.

Maybe Stan should ask why the public utilities and the military in Europe use them so much.

Bill Marshall 85 GL Tiico "Pandora's Box" Aurora, IL