Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 22 Jun 2003 16:25:26 -0700
From:         Tom Young <tomyoung1@ATTBI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Confused about valve adjustment
Comments: To: Dan Erlandson <danoer1@ECLIPSE.NET>

I haven't been following this thread, and really don't know anything about water-cooled engines, but this seems like a more general distributor issue, so I'll jump in.

The distributor spins around telling each plug when to fire. Everything else being equal (it hardly ever is, in real life) as long as the distributor is saying "fire" to each spark plug in proper order and at the proper time (i.e., so many degrees before or after TDC) its orientation hardly matters. So, if the firing order is 1-4-3-2, then when the rotor points to the wire leading to the #1 cylinder the #1 cylinder should be ready to fire, i.e., near TDC on the compression stroke. The distributor then moves on to the next wire, which should go to cylinder #4, then #3, and finally #2.

Orientation is:

#3 #1 #4 #2

If this "basic" setup is correct, then rotating the distributor, i.e., loosing the clamp and rotating the distributor slightly one way or the other, is affecting "timing", i.e., *when* the spark plugs go off in relation to TDC.

Now, I don't think I *could* insert the distributor in one of my air-cooled vehicles 180 degrees off from its "proper" orientation because it has a big old vacuum canister hanging off one side and a very tight spot in the engine where it lives; there just wouldn't be enough room to get it seated if it was rotated too far one way or the other. Maybe it's different with the water-cooled beasts.

So, for the moment at least, satisfy yourself that the basic orientation is in order. I find that with a good light and just a little straining I can see right down the spark plug hole and into the cylinder; this is particularly easy with cylinder #4. If I was confused what I would do is:

Remove all the spark plugs.

Turn the engine over by hand (fairly easy with plugs out) looking down the spark plug hole until the piston shows up.

Rock the engine back and forth when the piston is right near TDC and you'll be able to establish, very closely, when the piston is *at* TDC. (Actually, being right *at* TDC isn't all that important for what we're doing here, so don't sweat it.)

Check to see if you're at TDC for the compression stroke (spark plug should fire right around here) or TDC of the exhaust stroke. You do that by checking to see that both valves are closed; if they are you're at TDC of the compression stroke. (I have a good enough view through plug #4 that I can see the valve heads themselves. If your view isn't as good just look at the valve stems/rocker arms by removing the valve cover. It should be clear when the valves are closed.)

Remove the distributor cap and look at which spark plug wire the rotor is pointing at. Is it the #4 wire? If so, check the orientation of the other 3 wires; the next wire clockwise should go to #3, the next to #2, and the next to #1. If they're not in this order, rearrange them until they are.

Having gotten *that* out of the way, you can then work on your valve adjustment. Since you know #4 is at TDC of the compression stroke, set it. Then rotate the engine so the rotor is pointing at the #3 wire, and set that cylinder. Rotate the engine again 'till the rotor is pointing at wire #2, set that one, and so forth. Except for cylinder #4 where you were peering down the spark plug hole, you probably *won't* get the piston *exactly* at TDC this way, but the lifters are riding on the "back" of the cam at this point and you have wide latitude here: screaming precision isn't that important.

--------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Young '81 Vanagon Lafayette, CA 94549 '82 Westfalia --------------------------------------------------------------- ----- Original Message ----- From: "Dan Erlandson" <danoer1@ECLIPSE.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, June 22, 2003 2:55 PM Subject: Re: Confused about valve adjustment