Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 27 Jun 2003 16:10:24 -0400
From:         "rmstewart@mac.com" <rmstewart@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Looking at used car and have some questions

Hi Everyone!

Just got back some photoıs that I had an local auto inspector take of a used carat in Florida that I am interested in. Itıs an 89 Carat, looks good but a couple of things needs fixing and I need advice. I posted images of the van for you too see on my a web-page at the following address: http://homepage.mac.com/rmstewart/PhotoAlbum11.html

1. On the passenger side, the gray body molding right after the sliding door is missing, itıs a 1 ft section just before the rear tire. How much is that piece and does anyone have one?

Is it something I can put on myself? I included a photo. ³missing plastic needed²

2. The current owner did some customization on the driver side door and added a wood panel around the power window controls, it does not look right, does it look like it could be removed easily? Apparently the owner fixed the window motor himself on that side and could not get it fit properly so he added this piece. See photo ³wood panel cover²

3. The passenger side window will not operate, the owner does not know if itıs a power issue, motor issue or bad fuse. Whatıs the cost for a new power motor, assembly and repair?

4. The sliding door sticks, whatıs the best way to fix this? WD40? Grease? Are there ball bearing that need to be replaced? If so what the cost? Best way to fix?

5. The inspector says the new paint job has orange peel look on some areas, what does this mean? Just a cheap paint job? How could I ever fix this?

6. Whatıs a tune-up cost for a Carat van, complete fluid change for the transmission, brakes, oil, the whole thing? I am on the east coast, but was thinking of having it done in Florida, as I thought it might be cheaper.

7. The floor is stained with something, I included a photo ³ stained floors², could I just use a steam cleaner on it to clean it up? If not I was thinking of just replacing the carpets.

8. The cigarette lighter is missing, whatıs this costs to replace? Anyone have one?

Lastly does anyone know of any good mechanics near Lake City Florida?

Thanks in advance to everyone for your valued advice to a first time van purchaser.

Regards to all,

Robert NYC