Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 22 Jun 2003 02:51:58 -0700
From:         Mark Dorm <mark_hb@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: double thermostats
Comments: To: ahwahnee@CYBERTRAILS.COM

Well, see this is interesting what you say... it gives you the power to anticipate... something your vanagon can't do. And to make adjustments in advance to this anticipation, something. Adding intelligence really.

Another point to consider.. is we all carry spare tires. Why? Aren't our tires good enough? Is something flawed about the design of our tires? Are we faulting the manufacture by carrying a spare.

Its because there might be a problem. Thats why we carry spares. And what about insurance. What are you saying when you buy insurance? That you think you're a lousy driver? The other driver? Well, then hes the one who needs insurance, not you.

And what about radiators. What happens when they don't do their job? Do you just stop driving? If its bad enough yes. But what if its only a defiency? Like air leaking slowly from a tire. Do you need to change it right then and there, or can you add air and go on your way, and deal with it later?

So wouldn't it be nice to have a back up radiator just in case.. not a full size one, but just a spare.

Like the rear heater compartment, but with a scoop so fresh air enters it, and a rear vent for release of this air, compartment is now seperate from the interior... and there is a thermostat just for this mini radiator, that helps the big out whenever he might need help. If headgaskets are a well known problem with the vanagon, then doesn't this mean that as the headgasket goes bad, in graduations across the spectrum, that the coolant system will have a harder time doing its job to spec.

Or maybe you're driving though death valley, and there is just a bit of seepage at one of the hoses at where it clamps, so now it doesn't cool as well, the needle rides just a hair higher, but the head temps are even higher, a little help from a second mini radiator wouldn't hurt, esp w/out cooking the guy already driving through a hot area.

I had a bit of seepage at where the hose joins to the radiator. You could see where a bit of coolant had dried under the hose turn. Mechanic said, well you need a new radiator. And the temp guage rode just a bit higher than usual. When I drained the system, I took this hose off the radiator. The mechanic said the plastic of the radiator would be cracked. It wasn't. I put the hose back on, and used a hose clamp you screw on, instead of the factor one. It worked just fine. Temp back to where I usually saw it. No seepage anymore. A second radiator sure would have been nice in the interm. I would drive up the hill over to santa cruz in heavy traffic on a hotday, from san jose, and would have to turn on the heater and cook myself to keep the guage where it belonged.

_________________________________________________________________ The new MSN 8: advanced junk mail protection and 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail