Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 28 Jun 2003 01:45:09 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon-esque vehicles... Dodge Sprinter??

>On Fri, 27 Jun 2003, Andrew Grebneff wrote: > >> >I know Daimler owns Chrysler now, but it just seems wrong to put a Dodge >> >emblem on a Mercedes... >> >> Or a Mercedes symbol on a Frod? > >I used to think putting a Ford symbol on a Mazda was pretty weird, too, >but I've gotten used to it.

Badge-engineering. It sucks. Means most people have no idea what the vehicle really is, where it's made or what the original name is. How many Americans (or for that matter people in most countries, including of course NZ) know what a Lexus really is?

It means that a manufacturer can come up with an entirely "new" model for zero development cost. ford wants a new small car? Buy a Mazda Familia cheap, slap Ford Laser or Mercury whatever badges on it and resell it. One manufacturer can make one model and sell it with several different names; Toyota does this with the Camry, Nissan with the Sunny... and they learned the trick from GM and Chrysler.

>I tend to think IRS is overrated for vans. For sports cars, sure it's >great, but for something that's basically a heavy cargo vehicle it's hard >to beat the durability and strength of a solid rear axle.

VW rear-ends don't give trouble usually. CVs are pretty darn reliable when they don't have steering thrown into the equation. And they do give better handling... after all, what vans are raced? Only VWs. Though early-model Estimas (=Previa) have IRS too.

Try hooning on a twisty road with it! Suspension performance means far more than going in a straight line. -- Andrew Grebneff 165 Evans St, Dunedin, New Zealand 64 (3) 473-8863 <andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz> Fossil preparator Seashell, Macintosh & VW/Toyota van nut