Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 28 Jun 2003 02:45:31 -0400
From:         caverat <caverat@ATTBI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Sirus Insiders Forum instructions - free equipment option
Comments: To: Mark Keller <kelphoto@shaw.ca>

> I can't seem to locate the info after I joined, I've not open up all of > the forums, can you direct me to the instructions >

How to get the free equipment:

Go to www.siriusbackstage.com . Click on Sirius backstage forums link in upper right corner. Scroll down to Sirius Insiders forum and click on it. Register if not already a member (email and password required). The first "Announcement" has the details to get the free equipment. This involves calling a toll free number, giving an employee name (provided in instructions), and agreeing to sign up for a one year subscription (payable by credit card only on a monthly, quarterly, or yearly basis). Tell them you heard about the offering at the siriusbackstage site if they ask. Ask if you have a choice of equipment. IMO, go with Panasonic then Kenwood the Clarion then Audiovox then Jensen (you can see the equipment at www.crutchfield.com or www.sirius.com ). They are clearing out first generation equipment inventory, so you may or may not have a choice (all units use the same chipset, so all work well). Ask them when you will get it. If it is already in stock and ready to ship, you will probably get it in a few days. Posts on that site indicate that you can call back for a tracking number. Shipping is free. There are no hidden charges. You will get a tuner (contains the satellite radio chipsets), an FM-modulator (allows simple hookup to any existing FM radio), a controller (allows channel selection), an antenna, and possibly a remote depending on the system. You will either need to install it yourself (not too difficult) or take it to Circuit City/Best Buy or an auto stereo shop and they will do it for $50-75. The Best Buy/Circuit City installers are familiar with this equipment and have likely done many already. The Vanagon Westy is a unique vehicle, so I did it myself and put the antenna under the luggage rack and the tuner in the cabinet under the sink.

After installation, activate the unit at the number provided in the installation instructions or at www.sirius.com. It is cheaper to activate over the web (I'm not sure, but I think it is $15 on the phone and $5 on the web). Your radio should already be on prior to activation and it should begin receiving all channels within a few minutes of the activation process. If not, contact the call center and they will send the activation signal again to your radio. It needs to be on and out in the open (not in a garage) in order to receive the activation signal. Once it is activated it will continue to receive the service unless they deactivate it for something like a failure to pay.

You should get a laminated channel guide and welcome kit in the mail a few weeks after you activate. You can print the channel lineup schedule from the Sirius website or get one in the brochures available at Circuit City/Best Buy. Program your favorite stations in the presets (the Kenwood has 24), and you are set and can forget about ever listening to normal FM radio again. Let me know how you like it.

caverat

89 westy Satellite radio fan and unofficial salesman who isn't affiliated with anyone and isn't making any commissions or getting anything out of this other than lost sleep