Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 22 Jun 2003 23:23:37 -0700
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Identify the mystery I4 engine and WIN!!!!!
Comments: To: Sam Payne <bungeegull@HOTMAIL.COM>

Forget about installing the injectors to make it FI. If I recall correctly, you need to get a motor that is from a CA Legal vehicle that is as old or newer than your van and retain all emission stuff to make it CA Legal. Then you have to take it to a referee station and get the vehicle reclassified as, say a 1992 Jetta, or what ever the motor came out of. I'm not the expert on the CA stuff, so I would contact the CARB to get the full details on this.

As far as simplicity, I would recommend using a 1.8L 1988 to 1992 Jetta / Golf motor with the Digifant II system. Uses the same fuel pressure as the Vanagon so it won't tax your fuel pump like a CIS system will. The wiring harness is very simple to deal with. They have 10:1cr for 105hp and better emissions and you can expect about 22 to 24 mpg from one of these.

On your existing motor you can find the engine code by looking at the block. Between cylinders #3 and #4 just above the distributor, right at the head gasket you will find the serial number it is LL NNN NNN in format. A Rabbit GTI block would be "JH 032 223" for example.

David Marshall

Fast Forward Automotive Inc. 4356 Quesnel-Hixon Road Quesnel BC Canada V2J 6Z3

http://www.fastforward.ca mailto:sales@fastforward.ca Phone: (250) 992 7775 FAX: (250) 992 1160

- Vanagon Accessories and Engine Conversions - Vanagon, Transporter and Iltis Sales and Importation - European Lighting for most Volkswagen models

Due to the large volume of email we receive, PLEASE include previous emails when responding. This will allow us to read the complete dialogue in one message and will result in quicker and more accurate responses.