Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Jun 2003 19:36:13 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Darn Westy Skylight and 7 days of nonstop rain
Comments: To: "Phil S." <napszeerf@YAHOO.COM>

At 12:32 PM 6/24/2003, Phil S. wrote: >works. Believe me or not, a year ago i installed a new >skylight, and vent seal/boot....i used plenty of >silicone on all the fittings and i STILL get leaks.

Ok, that may be part of the problem, silicone won't do it. The right stuff is a wad of goo with paper release backing, tell the RV dealer you want the stuff to seal roof fittings...if you're lucky they'll sell you a foot or two instead of the 20-foot roll. It comes about two inches wide, just pinch off what you need -- stays gummy forever.

> Of >course being parked on a steep driveway so that the >hard rain was hitting that skylight at an angle did >not help...but the skylight leaked badly even while >driving. The open/close knob leaks as well as the

Anything that comes in the rear edge will fill the plastic housing until if overflows through the hole where the shaft is. Drill a couple little holes in the low places to let the trapped water out...and keep it from pooling there in future when you accidentally leave it open.

Incidentally, the skylight is in a neutral-pressure zone on the roof -- it will blow in or out depending on what other windows and vents are open. Even if it's blowing out it will still probably rain in, so it's not usable in the rain. If you're parked and it's not windy it can probably open an inch.

>gasket in 2 places no matter HOW hard i tighten.

Tightening hard isn't the answer. If you need more than moderate pressure with thumb and forefinger then something's not lined up right. Test it just like you would a freezer door -- slip a dollar bill between the sealing faces and adjust the hinge angle until you get equal pressure all around. If you're using a skylight from the skylight guy, his are thicker than standard and you will definitely have to adjust the hinges -- they'll be too tight on the hinge side and not close on the mechanism side.

david

-- David Beierl - Providence RI USA -- http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"