Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 30 Jun 2003 07:56:21 -0700
From:         Doktor Tim <doktortim@ROCKISLAND.COM>
Subject:      Re: help with 91GL problem - it likes flatbed rides too much
Comments: To: Thomas Brobst <TJBROBS@ACCUSORT.COM>

Disconnect battery, then inspect the relays and backside connections of the fuze block. I have seen cracked circuits in relays that create exactly your experience. In every case, actual inspection with hand glass and good light revealed the obvious fault. Pull the cover off the relay and use a 10x hand glass and sunlight to inspect the solder and tracks. Replace if any sign of overheating is apparent, dull solder, rosin leaking out of the solder, corrosion at the edge of the boards or anywhere else. Purdy purple colors = definite overheating. If you can see your image shining back at you in the solder everywhere and no foulness is apparent, then it can be bench tested to verify switching and points resistance. If it passes visual and functional tests, reuse it and don't waste money on a new one not needed.

Your glitch could be one of many different things. Verify clean and tight connections everywhere, more especially the battery cables at both ends and the ground straps at tranny and upper engine left. Verify the coil terminals and the ballast resistor. Ohms test them while wiggling the soldered wires. A cracked joint here can mean no injector ground. There is another ground wire there to verify as it could be your culprit as well. Check the elec connector at the dizzy. The housings break and can then ground out the connections and no ignition signal. Bump it with your hand and problems come and go.

Wiggle that, and everything else, while idling to force a fault to show it's self. That's a basic procedure that any competent mechanic can do in 10 minutes. Shoot, you can do it. While idling, just push and pull and tap at the relays and fuze box and around the fuel pump and all the connectors in the motor compartment. Just some light pushing and pulling and tapping at possibles. What does this say about your dealer???? They are not familiar with universal fault forcing and finding procedures????? There is still no guarantee this will find it for you, but as it only takes a few minutes to do, do it.