Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 30 Jun 2003 13:45:31 EDT
From:         Jeff Oxroad <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Westy Luggage Rack Pop Top Seal Install Question (Bus Depot)
Comments: To: diverseimaging@EARTHLINK.NET

I replaced my pop top seal with the same kit. The luggage rack seal from bus depot as I remember is thinner, that is has less heft, than the stock seal. In fact I would say the luggage rack seal they provide is more an edge guard than an actual seal from VW. (The actual pop-top seal that hooks to the moving part of the roof is a seal--and a great one at that--but the front "seal" from bus depot is more of a trim piece. The luggage rack remember doesn't have to be water tight.).

Anyway, my guess is you might get lucky in being able to install the trim piece by loosening the four visible luggage rack mounting screws--and if need be the mounting bolts which are accessed under the pop top on the back of the luggage rack. There may be enough play without having to rip out th moon roof installation.

Having said all that, I'm sorry I can;t tell you definativly. But like I said I took mine off all together.

FWIW that black tube of silicone seal from local parts store can be used to cleanly fill in the gap between the main part of the pop top seal and the front piece of the pop top seal that goes over the roof. The VWOA seal is one piece, but as I recall the Bus DEpot seal is two pieces--the sides and back as one and the over the top as another. This silicone makes the completed job look real nice.

Best Jeff LA,CA 83.5 Westy