Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Jul 2003 23:34:23 -0700
From:         Kriss De Jong <banshee@KILLERBANSHEE.COM>
Subject:      Questions: Moving seatbelt...roof rack...flooring...laying the
              back seat down

Hey all- I've been mostly lurking in the last year or so. Just had to have the heads done on my 91GL for the first time. She was a little cranky coming out of the shop...but a second trip got me all sorted out. We're about to head out for the Peops Road Show (supporting the book release of Fly's new book Peops) West Coast Tour...so we'll be running about 3000miles or so in a month.

Here's my current Qs (I did several searches but didn't find the answers I was looking for in the archive, so my apologies if they ARE in there and I just didn't find them):

1. Antenna- Are there any after market antennas that retract when you turn off the radio that one can retrofit the vanagon with? I've had 2 of the dealer plain ole ones that don't retract...manually or automatically...broken off and one that does retract manually...broken off as well.

2. Seatbelt- I feel like I remember the list talking about how to move the seatbelt down to the lower hole (I see a screw in below the current location of the seatbelt)...I am very short. Can I actually move it down to that hole and if so anything special I need to know? It rides up against my neck right now. My only work around thus far is to use a child's adjustment attachment on the seatbelt.

3. Roof Rack- I need to get a roof rack or a back gate rack to carry some extra gear for the tour. I'll probably put suitcases and possibly some gear stands or my manual wheelchair on it. Leaving the inside space for the sensitive electronics. I think I'm picturing the safari type in my head. Know of anyone local in San Francisco Bay Area...or maybe LA that has them?

4. Replacing upholstery- My carpet and the upholstery that goes up along the drivers side in the back are totally shot. I'm thinking of putting peg board along the side wall...anyone tried this? Pointers? What are some favorite floor replacements? I need something that is non-skid since my power wheelchair is usually sitting there (that also being the reason the carpet has torn)... Again, any install pointers?

5. Automatic sliding door opener- I have an sliding door opener that works from toggle switches installed by the drivers seat, by the back seat near the sliding door and outside the sliding door on the back edge of the passenger side. The problem I have is that due to the large chain box for the chain drive to open and close the door I can't lay the back seat all the way down. I've been trying to find someone to cut the back seat and re-mount the catch on a short back to the seat and it occurred to me that maybe I was coming at the problem from the wrong direction and that maybe there are other door openers or another way I could mount the door opener so that I could lay the seat all the way down. Thoughts?

TIA, Kriss

-- 91 Vanagon GL "Little Bus" aka LB Brand new heads, wheelchair lift, badass bumpers from Volks Cafe