Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 Jul 2003 09:43:28 -0500
From:         Owen <olists@THEBRANDS.ORG>
Subject:      A/C Repair (was  Re: R134a in 88 Weekender.)
Comments: To: VWNut Hawk <vwnut@HAWKCOMPUTING.COM>

--cut---

> I have two 84's that have air conditioning that don't work. > If I new what to do and where to get what parts and tools I'd buy > everything I need to > work on them. --cut---

I reached the same conclusions a few weeks ago. If I am going to drive older cars in Texas it is time to learn A/C's. Since then I began accumulating some of the tools and knowledge. Here is some of what I have found thus far:

I found the forums on this site useful http://www.ackits.com/

Unfortunately I found most of the tools they sell cheaper elsewhere. It was a good starting point to get my head around the basics of refrigerant systems. Please understand that I am a complete newbie on this. Take any info with that consideration.

I need the tools to do the job: A decent set of r134a / r12 gauges (MasterCool part no 66773) can be found on Ebay for 89.00 buy it now. r134a can tap and hose, r12 can tap and hose,vent gauge - 15.00 total from the Red Tek distributor

Some other tools I bought just because it seems like chasing a needle in a haystack without them -

5cfm vacuum pump(Mastercool model 90056) bought a new unit on Ebay auction final price 170.00 vs new price of 290.00

All refrigerant leak detector (Yokogawa H-10 Pro) NIB on ebay for 179.00 vs new price of 330.00

If there are other list members in the Houston area I would be glad to offer the use of these tools. Oh wait that's right I live in Vanagon no man's land.

Other Parts -

Used compressor from a list member

Receiver / Dryer 30.00 from Ken at Vanagain.

Expansion Valve from Ken - 25.00

Case of Red Tek (12 cans) $85 or so.

There seems to be huge controversy over r12a vs 134a. From what I have read of Red Tek and other list members recommendations I am going to give it a go. Environmentally safe, requires lower pressure than even the old r12 and therefore everything works a bit less. Seals, engine etc. The atomization of oils presents a fire risk in any refrigerant. 20% of any gas, lethal or non lethal, can kill you. The usual disclaimers here, just doing a brain dump of what I have read thus far.

All that said I ordered my red tek too late to get here in time today so I may have to charge it up once with r134a so we can hopefully have air for a short 5 hour road trip this afternoon.When I get back I will charge it up with the Red Tek.

If the 134a works it will give me a decent benchmark against the Red Tek. I will try to be scientific about it (add the recommended oils, measure vent temp etc) I may even wind up with a spare valve and dryer if the vanagain package doesn't arrive in time today. This would facilitate a true comparison by fitting a new dryer

Owen