Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 Jul 2003 14:01:37 -0400
From:         Doug Fitz-Randolph <fitzr@SUSCOM-MAINE.NET>
Subject:      FS: For 2WD I-4 conversion - 2.0 16V engine, complete, running,
              includes '91 Passat!

Located in Freeport, ME 1/2 mile from L.L. Bean.

The engine is currently in a green '91 Passat which has been hit passenger rear. I bought it hastily for the engine and associated electronics, wiring, plumbing, etc. intending to replace the diesel engine in my 2WD Single Cab. But after thinking about it for a few weeks I don't want to ditch the diesel, so will instead be repairing that.

I bought the car in May, got transit plates, and drove it home about 20 miles. The engine ran strong and was very smooth - it's actually a really fun to drive, and the 16V loves RPM's! For those of you not familiar, the 2.0 16V (code 9V, 134HP@5800, 133FT/LBS@4400, #'s courtesy of www.fastforward.ca) makes most of its power higher in the RPM band than does the WBX, but it also has a 6000+ redline, so with a slight adjustment in driving style I think it would work nicely.

This engine has the distributor sticking horizontally out of the back of the engine, and I have read that it will not work in a syncro unless this is modified - which I've heard is possible, but I really can't offer any insight. Also, the intake manifold is quite sizeable and I believe requires some modification to the frame if installed at 50 degrees. I was going to install at 15 degrees in a 2WD, so again, I didn't really research this exhaustively.

The odometer reads 159K, and the head was replaced with a genuine VW rebuilt unit from the dealer in 2001 - have a receipt to back this up. Of course, for a conversion, a little creativity will be required for the fuel injection (longer hoses required) and air intake - access to a junkyard would make this cheap & easy, though. Also, whatever you would normally do when you've got the engine out of the car - timing belt, head gasket, crank seal, whatever - should probably be done. But having the entire donor car available should make this relatively easy compared to just starting with an engine in a crate.

The Passat c-o-u-l-d be fixed - needs body repair, brakes, electrical troubleshooting, one rear wheel, exhaust, radiator, etc. Lots of stuff works though - sunroof, power windows, radio, etc., surprisingly rust-free, interior in good shape, and the transmission and clutch feel fine too. Looks nice too, even with the relatively minor damage. A friend of mine is trying to convince me to fix it up for him, but I've really got enough to do without taking on another project.

So now it's just taking up space in my driveway and I want it gone! I'm only looking to get what I paid for it, $950. This is not negotiable, so please don't ask. I don't have the time to part it out either, so it's all or nothing! At the very least, you can sell the transmission when you're done and recoup some of your investment. Includes the Bentley manual and, oddly enough, a Sony 10-disc CD changer w/ remote and spare magazine.

Cheers, Doug Fitz-Randolph Freeport, ME '90 Syncro, '86 Single Cab