Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 4 Jul 2003 09:01:58 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Bad intake valve @ 30,000 miles????
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>

Dennis,

Speaking of lapping the valve to the seat, I don't think there are but a handful of shops that go to that trouble. That's to bad, too. It is time consuming, but it is the ONLY way to get that final perfect fit. I was taught in Aircraft Mechanic school, and also practiced the procedure in engine overhaul work later, to grind the valves per spec, then using a special lapping tool - basicly a straight stick with a suction cup on the end, apply valve grinding compound to the valve face, drop into the valve guide so the valve vace met the seat, stick the lapping tool to the face of the valve, then rotate the lapping tool back and forth, lift the valve and rotate it 120 degrees, drop it back to the seat then work the tool back and forth again. If the seat and the valve face were well mated in the grinding process, the lapping process would leave a non-shiny band in the center of the valve face and the center of the seat. You could tell immediately if the grinding needed to be redone or the valve and/or seat needed to be replaced. The lapping would be first done with a coarse grit, then finished with a very fine grit. When done, the whole thing was washed off with a solvent, the valve dropped into the guide with only the weight of the valve holding against the valve seat. The cylinder/head was then filled with gasoline. If the gasoline did not leak out, then the fit was acceptable. If it leaked, the more lapping with the fine grit was required. Doing it this way is the ultimate in producing the highest quality work .....and performance. It is something I think builders of high performance machinery do all the time, but I don't beleive to be common shop practice in ordinary garages. I know it is done on the high horspower racing aircraft that use the 1000 plus horsepower big piston engines as a power source.

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver