Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 4 Jul 2003 23:04:56 -0400
From:         Mike Collum <collum@MFX.NET>
Subject:      Re: 1.9L long blocks
Comments: To: lauterba <lauterba@BELLSOUTH.NET>

John,

Back in '91 my '84 7 pass with A/C and auto trans was given to me 'cause the engine was blown.

I scrounged around and found an '84 automatic parts van and made the exchange in my carport (unassisted).

The one caution is ... be careful of the transmission pump shaft. With engine/trans tilted, it can slide out and become bent (ask me how I know). Luckily, I had the parts van and just used its shaft.

Good luck,

Mike

'84 GL 7 pass auto '85 GL Westy 4 spd

Some local air-cooled guys have told me that if they can change out the engines in their Vanagons w/o help, I should be able to do the same with the 1.9 WBX in my '84 Vanagon.

Who has gotten a 1.9L long block recently? Who was the rebuilder? I have a Haynes, and a microfiche copy of Bentley. What else do I need? This will be a driveway job.

List vendors: Who wants to take my money?

John Lauterbach Macon, GA '84 7-passenger with A/C and auto. transmission