Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 5 Jul 2003 21:35:21 -0700
From:         Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: What is happening?
Comments: To: jwalker17@earthlink.net

Joel ,

I should have mentioned that my system is '91 Jetta-Golf Digifant II which is similar to Vanagon Digifant.

My engine is from a Golf (formerly Diese 1982 Westfalia). In the 8 years that this has run the engine trouble-free, the last 7 months have had gremlins on board.

I did clean the throttle body and adjust the idle and full throttle switch, and that restored my power, fuel economy and warm up, which had been erratic.

Now the power is back, the idle still isn't as smooth as it used to be(all the tune -up stuff has been done). What specifically is reset when the key is turned off and then back on is the question. When the stalling begins, unless the key reset action is made, the engine goes into a wildly fluctuating idle up over 2,000 rpm and then down to 500 rpm and back up rapidly repating this cycle. The exhaust smells sulphur which means rich mixture. There are no air leaks.

Does turning the key off and then back on reset the ecu for a variety of components, or only one.

Of course I'm trying to find which senesor is flipping out the ECU. Or if the ECU is defective as has been suggested.

Robert

----Original Message Follows---- From: "Joel Walker" <jwalker17@earthlink.net> To: "Robert Keezer" <warmerwagen@HOTMAIL.COM> Subject: Re: What is happening? Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2003 22:59:56 -0500

> What is happening when your engine dies while driving , but turning the > igniton off and back on again resets something and it runs again? > What engine components can be the cause ? > 1982 Westfalia

hmm. that's Bosch L-Jetronic fuel injection on the 80-83 aircools. it's completely analog ... no digital stuff at all. i'd suspect the ignition switch first.

unless you've got a California version. they had a Hall Generator with transistorized ignition. and that might be failing. but on the non-california models, there just wasn't that much to act like that (except the ignition switch).

hope it helps. good luck! joel

Robert 1982 Westfalia 1987 Wolfsburg

_________________________________________________________________ Help STOP SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail