Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 Jul 2003 09:47:41 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Window Tint Nightmare :(
Comments: To: Lee Roesner <paradigm@ALLEGRAPRINTING.COM>

Leo, it's been a while since I looked at my tint job closely, but I just did. I have Llumar metal sputtered film on my 88 GL. It was installed in 1999 and is as good as new - both the film and the installation. It was done at Artistic Solar Films, Hoover, AL (205) 823-8468 (shameless plug - my son's shop), a professional tint shop, doing automotive, residential, commercial, industrial and military installations.

That being said, the tint has a 1/16" or less light band around the perimeter of all fixed windows including the moving portion on the sliding windows. Around the handles and locks on the glass, there is a band that is a bit wider - about 1/4 inch. On the driver and passenger windows, the margins of the tint on the glass are 1/8" at the top, 1/16" on the fore and aft edge and no margin at the bottom. The tint at the bottom extends below the rubber lip of the window frame.

There are no torn or crinkled edges or corners - nor should there be. Unacceptable.

Air bubbles - none in my tint job. However, metal sputtered tint has a glue on the tint that is wetted, and that is what adheres the tint to the glass. When the glue is wet, the water activates it after it is put in place, and it will appear at times for all the world that there are "air" bubbles under the tint, when infact it is glue/water bubbles. if the tint is properly smoothed and a sqeegee applied sugfficiently there will be no adverse effect, and the water/glue bubble will disappearover a period of days as the glue cures.

The windows are not to be operated at all for up to 5 days or so after installation - depending on whether its winter or summer because to do so would peel the tint right off the window. When the tint installation is done, the rubber gaskets at the bottom of the window will probably be tuned inward. This is the result of working the tint down below the sill. Do not mess with that. It is proper and is corrected after the tint glue cures. Once sufficient curing time has passed, use a credit card or other plastic card, and beginning at the corner of the window work the card down into the seal and pull up and outward and across. The seal should pop up. Then the window can be lowered or raised.

For cleaning of window tint mix a couple of tablespoons of Johnsons baby shampoo into a quart of water, put into a spray bottle, shake well, and spritz the tint surface. Wipe with a clean dry cloth like a T-shirt or diaper. Nothing more course. ABSOLUTELY DO NOT USE ANY AMMONIA BASED SPRAY!!!! It will kill your tint. Ammonia removed the oils and plasticizers from the tint and it will become brittle, loose it light reduction qualities, and come apart on your glass.

I have done a lot of installations myself in my sons shop. I hope this helps.

BTW, in the beginning, the tint cutting was done by laying the tint on the glass and doing the cutting on the glass - cutting it out by hand - using the window as a pattern. Automotive glass is soft, and often scratching would occur. Now-a-days my son uses automated tent cutters and software to drive it. A tint knife never touches a vehicle any more. The software describes each vehicle (size and shape info from the manufacturers) and tells the cutting machine how to cut the tint. Even so, there are some vehicles that are not listed, such as Vanagons, and the old style tint installation skills are called upon to cut and fit the tint.

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver