Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 13 Jul 2003 07:43:32 -0700
From:         "Douglas L. Urner" <dlu@PATROSA.CANISHE.COM>
Subject:      Re: thinking of buying a '93 Eurovan.. any words of wisdom?
Comments: To: JordanVw@AOL.COM

>hey all, im thinking of buying a '93 Eurovan MV. any words of wisdom?

Don't do it!

I had one of these with a manual. I lost it when I got divorced, and replaced it with a '83 Vanagon. The Eurovan was white and had a/c, the Vanagon was dark blue and didn't -- except for a few weeks in the summer I was much happier with the Vanagon.

My gripes with the Eurovan:

- it was much harder to work on, even an oil change was a major hassle. - quality wasn't great (bumper trim fell off regularly, rear heater failed, power mirrors were flakey, cruise was flakey, top required adjustment on a regular basis, camping battery cooked itself twice, etc.) - less space than a Vanagon - the transmissions, especially the autos, seem to be weak - funky tiling radiator (necessary to get to the spark plugs, but the mounts tend to fail)

On the plus side:

- it had a reasonable amount of power (even with the a/c on) - the ABS was nice - I like front wheel drive

The '93s in particular don't seem to be a good bet, they used the Audi inline 5 that year, the current EVs use a 6. My guess is that the smaller pool of '93s will result in parts problems.

Doug