Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 14 Jul 2003 18:28:00 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Towing a syncro.
Comments: To: SStones <sstones@IDIRECT.COM>

You got the shaft positions swapped. The Pinion shaft is the lower shaft that is used to splash the oil. I have seen the rear amin shaft needle bearing destroyed by excessive engine idling/operation with out the van moving and the oil level is low.

I have towed my Syncro Westy many times behind my motor home without incident.

Wit the engine out, it is extremely important to have it level and secured if the center drive shaft is in. Personally, for a 12 mile tow, have it flat bedded. If you own a Vanagon, you should have towing insurance anyway. Best $70 to $80 bucks a year you can spend, (less than 4 tanks of gas).

Dennis