Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 Jul 2003 15:38:57 -0700
From:         Doktor Tim <doktortim@ROCKISLAND.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon/Porsche Project Pictures
Comments: To: Bruce Nadig <motorbruce@HOTMAIL.COM>

Hey, swaping a Porsche into a VW makes a whole lot more sense to me than a Subaru. Four things that I am interested in how you are resolving.

1. Sealing of the motor perimeter for air cooled cool air control. I have in mind use of big trailer mud flap rubber strips and some metal flange tack welded around the compartment matching the Carrera tin.

2. Location and mounting of the oil cooler and lines. Seems just made for replacing the water cooled radiator and lines and installing a high capacity, say, Porsche turbo oil cooler with an electric original Vanagon fan controlled by a temp sensor switch at the return line to the oil tank. You will have at least 10 to 20% more friction loss than the stock Carrera length, so a turbo oil pump should be strongly considered and/or larger lines. Easy squeezy to put in an extra capacity oil cooler, say, half the size of the VW water radiator. A high flow rate 962 item with a thermo valve and no need of an electric fan at all.

3. Location and mounting of the oil tank. Put the oil tank right rear just like Porsche. Use one gauge larger batt cables than Carrera stock to insure no amp losses at all.

4. Hookup of original VW instruments or installation of 911 instruments and gauges. Frankly, I would want to adapt the Carrera dash in toto.

Man, you gonna have a lotsa horsepower/torque and more gravity center shift front to rear. Turbo CV's for sure, and I would want the Carrera or turbo brakes, which means adapting to Porsche hubs and wheels four corners. The extra weight of the motor means rear torsion bars should be larger. We talkin' splicing in the Porsche tube or is the VW spline the same as Porsche. Find a Weltmeister dealer, they got the knowledge about which splines fit which Porsche/VW. With near 1000 lbs more gross load than the Carrera, you may need LeMans 962 bars in there. Tires/wheels are a big issue. You will need truck load range D or better tires, and they don't tend to fit up with Carrera wheels. They did in fact make 14" Fuchs for the Luxus 911E, so those earlier parts with the spindles/hubs/brakes would allow stock 14" truck tires.

A few hours to sort out the heater ducts and hookups and you gonna have more heat that any air cooled van ever had, with a flap to direct air off that oil cooler from the front and the hot air flow from the motor, sounds like an arctic functional air cooled situation. Very unique German Van.