Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Jul 2003 08:28:02 -0700
From:         Steven Johnson <sjohnso2000@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Heidelberg Radio Discussion

Hi all,

If you are not interested at all about the hook-up or workings of the Heidelberg radio then you can delete this now... (Very little VC)

I've been on this list since it started way back in 1994 and have left the list for maybe 1/2 a year because I got tired of the same old issues and excess blah-blah but I zip through the archive messages to check for any new and useful info. (thanks to those who made the archive happen).... Anyway, in scanning and searching the archive I was never able to find anything about hooking up a Heidelberg VIII radio which is from an early 90's Corrado that I purchased from E-bay a couple years ago. The person I got it from gave me the code but I was never able to get the display to show up so I could punch in the code. I thought something was wrong with the radio and so I posted to this group to see if anyone could help. I got a few responses with one in particular that mentioned that there may be a second power hook up and I should jumper to it to fix this. Well, I tried this but could not locate a the correct pin to jumper to. Little did I know at the time that this was the right tree to bark up, so to speak.

So after a year or so of leaving the unit to collect dust on a shelf and occasionally looking for info on the web for a local repair shop and pin diagrams and references to I ended up relocating another cassette/radio from my wife's car and used that for some time. Her car got a new CD player to upgrade her tune listening. But recently, the display went out on the one I put in my van and made it difficult to use on the fly. So I started re-examining the Heidelberg VIII. While at a flee market I found a concession for a local radio dealer that said they worked on auto radios and said they could take a look at mine. So I took it in a week or so later. There attempt was dissappointing at best. He said that he was unable to get the display to work and needed the instruction manual (that I didn't have) and thought that it was probably stolen and would exchange it for one of his units instead. I saw where that was going, especially after the quoted $200 more I would be paying for the newer unit. Ugh!!! So I skidaddled out of there with my unit as fast as I could and went home dissapointed.

So on I went searching the web for more clues when I came across a diagram for a standard Blaupunkt radio/cassette:

http://dev.12v.org/tuning.php?include=stereo

Lo and behold it had the same configuration as the Heidelberg VIII. I looked at the pin outs and found that they appeared to be just like the ones on the back of mine. So I decided right there that I would try the jumper trick again and "Holy Smokes" it lit up the display when I applied power to the pin it said to! Now why is it that I can hear a virtual chorus of "Well duh!" in the background of my mind?

Well, I don't care. At least I was elated. So I says to myself, "Now all you need is the correct harness to buckle in to the back and you'll be all set. Not so fast says my internet search. Well sort of. Most of the local places only have the receiver harness because they all assume you're putting in a new head unit and don't need the original push in the back plug. Well, I found a place in the good old UK that just happen to have what I was looking for. They are called Blue Spot Audio:

http://www.bluespot.co.uk/cables.asp

Look under there cables and connectors section and you should find it. I ordered 2 so I could have a spare. I'm sure I'll mis-place it so I won't be able to find it when I do need it later....

So they sent me this ISO connector in a few days for about $15 U.S. and now I'm happy as can be.

There is one issue though. It does get pretty hot on the left side of the unit. Is this an indication of problems to come? If anyone can suggest any thing or re-assure I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for reading along. I hope I helped someone else with this kind of dilemma.

Steven