Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Jul 2003 13:01:26 -0400
From:         Vanagon Man <vgonman@MSN.COM>
Subject:      Re: 2.1L coolant light problem..diagnosis
Comments: To: Joe Chasse <chassehsd@EARTHLINK.NET>

Here is the scoop.

I got the van yesterday, checked for exhaust gas in coolant, none present. So, I get it up on ramps and start looking around for leaks, and or dried residue.

I fiddle with the large plastic "T' piece on the right side of the engine, pushing with one finger where each of the hoses meets........gently, mind you, just trying to find a coolant weep..........and one of the hoses fell right off! So I drain the system, remove, and order one from the dealer.

Next thing i find ( the customer always added coolant to the actual reservoir, and not the overflow..he said that coolant never went anywhere, and the other was low) so i start inspecting overflow.................turns out there was a lot of crud in there ( pits of rubber and such) that allowed coolant to flow IN thru the hose, but not OUT...........I will reassemble later today and give a full report.

Adam P 81 Westy "The Brick " 70 Single Cab "Whitey" 74 Beetle "Ol Yeller" 73 Transporter (STILL at paint shop) 1988 Vanagon Wolfsburg 1976 Transporter (New CA bus) 1974 412 "Goldmember" Used Vanagon Parts for sale (mostly aircooled) ----- Original Message ----- From: "Joe Chasse" <chassehsd@EARTHLINK.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 10:30 AM Subject: Re: 2.1L coolant light problem