Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Jul 2003 12:30:52 -0700
From:         gary hradek <hradek@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      2.1L coolant light problem
Comments: cc: chassehsd@EARTHLINK.NET

I have always observed that there is a bit of a disconnect between what you see as an engine temperature(the light) and what the fan in the front is doing(sensor system with three speed fan). I suspect the temperature sensor for the fan is poorly placed. One is tempted to argue that what is seen on the temperature gauge is more important than what the fan is doing upfront. Both are of importance however what is most important is that the van does not loose coolant. Any amount of coolant loss is unaceptable, especially if the engine appears to be running hot or the fan is on all the time. If you are sporting ac with the three speed fan you may find that by turning the ac on a higher cold setting, medium speed in areas without too many hills that you may exhibit a lowered engine temperature reading due to the cycling of the ac promoted fan use. As you begin to climb hills you may hear the high speed fan kick on. gary

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 10:30:25 -0400 From: Joe Chasse <chassehsd@EARTHLINK.NET> Subject: Re: 2.1L coolant light problem

I agree with Jim.....sounds like a fan problem Had a very similar problem myself recently with my 90 water-cooled Carat.

My VW mechanic (Ken Nethkin in Fishersville, VA) replaced the sending unit and it seemed to fix the problem initially (I could hear the fan come on). However I was still unhappy with the temperature the van would run in traffic so he actually replaced the thermostat in the engine....seems that by default it was rated to keep the coolant in the engine till it reached 190 deg. So he swapped it out for a unit rated to 180 deg (kept the old one to switch out if needs be during the winter). He also put a manual switch in so I could engage the fan manually if I was getting a bit anxious in traffic).

Ken Wilford has a quick and easy way to trouble shoot the radiator fan system at http://www.vanagain.com/How2fan.htm

Best luck to your friends Joe Chasse 90 Carat, Charlottesville VA