Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Jul 2003 13:11:30 -0700
From:         Joel Cort <joel_cort@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Help with A/C High/Low pressure sensor requested
Comments: To: Syncro List <syncro@yahoogroups.com>

Fellow warm campers,I am slowly becoming an A/C technician. But I need some help in identifying a part. I have a 1989 Syncro Westfalia with the factory rear mounted A/C unit. All the components are in the rear Westy closet once you remove the false wall. I need help with a part number or with a replacement part if anyone on the list has this.I am trying to find the single unit sensor that has both the HIGH and LOW pressure triggers in a single module. I will attempt to describe it to its fullest. This is located on the High-pressure metal line right above the high-pressure service valve. Bentley shows two sensors: one low; one high, but they may have improved it in 89. This sensor is about 2 inches round and 2 inches stubby with 4 wires coming right off the face. On the other side it is bolted into the High pressure metallic line. If I unbolt this unit, the pressure will evacuate the system. If anyone on the list has one of these, please let me know and I will gladly purchase it from you. My diagnosis: I have not been able to get the compressor to kick in and the R134 pressure is correct in the system. I believe that the problem is with the High/Low Pressure sensor. If I unplug the 4-wire connection to this sensor, and I jump two of the terminal I can get the compressor to kick-in and start cooling the Freon. This would mimic the low-pressure sensor switch. When the pressure is too low, it starts the pump up with the correct ambient temperature. If I jump the other two wires I will get the 3rd stage radiator fan to kick-in. This is what the high-pressure sensor should trigger when there is too much pressure in the circuit.

So from hot wiring these connections I am diagnosing that I have a problem with this sensor and therefore would like to find one on the list.

Thanks for any help on this and locating a new sensor. Joel 89 Syncro Warm Westy Rochester NY